Dear Artists, Poets, Word Lovers, Introverts, Story Tellers, Song Writers, Film Makers, Book worms, Christmas Grinches and Elves
Welcome to and thanks for reading this blog post which was originally published as the 46th edition of the Write On! newsletter.
At this time of year, it feels as if the whole world is on a knife’s edge. You walk outside your door and you can immediately feel the intensity. People have less tolerance and are more stressed out because of pressure from family, friends and the need to ‘keep up with the Joneses’ on social media. We are addicted to over sharing the unimportant. We document all the stuff that does not matter, hoping that it will count. It’s supposed to be ‘the most wonderful time of the year’ and yet it’s really the most stressful. You are not alone in this feeling and you can choose to spend the last few weeks of 2016 in a way that serves and honours you and the important people in your life.
Here are nine ways to get through the stress of the silly season:
1. Be a friend and check in with someone you know is struggling. Encourage or support them. Take the time to really give a damn. Let your presence heal and not wound. You don’t have to try and fix their problems. Just really listen and acknowledge what they are going through without judgment.
2. Remember to nourish yourself and give yourself space to breathe, to disconnect from all the negativity, to journal it out and to listen to what you need to stay present. If you are out somewhere and it gets too much, you can leave. You don’t have to attend every party, you can stay at home and read, write and listen to great music every night if that’s what lights you up. If you feel called, join us for Dear 2016 this Sunday.
3. Eat meals without checking your phone.
4. Simply sit and observe the world when travelling on the bus,train, plane or when getting a lift. Do not be tempted to shut out the world with your headphones or check your phone. See the world around you without having to document it or fill up the silence.
5. Watch a film by yourself from start to finish without any distractions. Feel every emotion that comes up.
6. Make time to listen to an album you love from start to finish. Do nothing but just listen and feel each song.
7. Have a morning ritual – meditate. spend time in nature, do yoga, walk your dog, write in your journal, use positive affirmations to make space for the good, show gratitude and acknowledge all the good that you have in your life. Make the time to do one or a combination of these things every morning and change the way you begin each day.
8. Declutter and get rid of anything that does not serve you. Declutter your car, your work space, your home. If you are unsure of whether you should keep something or not, recycle it by giving it to charity or regifting it to someone else who could use it.
9. Detox from technology from just one day a week. If one day seems impossible, turn your phone off when you get home from work in the evening.
December is a time of giving regardless of your religious and spiritual beliefs. With this in mind, we would like to gift you our dear supporters, subscribers and students with an exclusive discount for our workshop, Dear 2016 happening this Sunday. We are gifting you R150 off the asking price making this full day workshop R600 which includes lunch, all creative materials and refreshments. Please note this offer is only for current subscribers and Write On students, past and present. Please use the discount code: FESTIVE when making your booking.
If you’re in the end-of-year- head space and need to take some time to reflect or you are already feeling overwhelmed due to the expectations that have been put on you, Dear 2016 is a one day workshop that will give you a chance to be supported and the space to breathe during the silly season.
If you are feeling run down, anxious, disconnected or stressed and could do with some calm and clarity, join us and reclaim your power through creative self expression. You do not have to consider yourself creative to take part as we will be using a variety of techniques to help you connect and reflect on the year that has been.
In this one day workshop, you will be given an opportunity to tell your stories, share, laugh and let go in a safe space. It is a place to express yourself without fear of judgment – a place to play, reflect and release what has hurt you in 2016. It is a day to clear away the old that no longer serves you, to see what lessons 2016 brought you and give you a chance to focus on what kind of year you want 2017 to be. It is a place to dream without fear and invite wonder, magic and adventure into your life.
Various creative and healing activities will be used to help you learn to take better care of yourself. You will spend a day with the gorgeous view of the ocean and mountain as your backdrop in Camps Bay. Depending on the weather, we may take a stroll down to the beach to reconnect with nature. It will be a day of remembering and reflecting, meditation, storytelling, letter writing, gift making, eating, drinking, making art, creative ritual and magic. Learn how to be more gentle with yourself and to share what is in your heart without fear of criticism.
If you feel the call, listen. There are just three spaces left and bookings are made on a first come, first served basis. Please note that ALL payments must be in by this Friday 9th December at midday. If you are a subscriber or past/present student, remember to ask for your discount using the code FESTIVE.
All course details can be found at the link below:
Please note that spaces are limited and bookings are made on a first come, first served basis or see the link on the right hand side of this newsletter.
Bookings can be made via email or directly from our website at the contact form below.
If you enjoyed reading this blog and know of someone that you think would benefit from hearing about what we do or would like to experience Write On! firsthand, please support us by spreading the word.
Until our next post, Write On!