So maybe your week hasn’t started off too great today. Maybe you woke up on the wrong side of bed and just from then on, it seems like everything has gone wrong. The weight of the world feels like it is on your shoulders and you’re counting down the minutes until you can leave work and go and spend the evening in front of your TV, laptop or phone. Here’s a suggestion: DON’T – Try something different.
If we want our lives to radically change for the better, we have to be willing to push ourselves and make change. Is spending hours on social media this evening going to make you feel better or worse? Chances are, the latter. Social media is a not a true reflection of how we are really feeling or what we are going through and often we tend to only share the ‘best’ parts of our lives to either receive praise, acknowledgment or to make ourselves feel better ( and if we’re really being honest, to make others jealous of the fabulous lives we are supposedly living).
We’re not expecting you to go cold turkey but make the choice to set aside just 10 minutes tonight to write down your day.
Sitting down to focus and write can seem very daunting but don’t put so much pressure on yourself. All you have to do is start somewhere. It does not have to be perfect and you are the only one reading it. Here’s just some of the benefits you may experience from writing:
1. Release fear from what others think – Did someone treat you terribly today? Let out all your frustration, anger, sadness on the page. You don’t have to get yourself all worked up or anxious holding onto what happened or analysing the situation to death – let the pages hold your emotions.
2. Get out of your own way – Maybe you’ve been wanting to join one of our courses for a while (Writing Scared begins in 1 week!) but until now you have have not written a single thing. The beautiful thing about writing is once you begin, your fears around starting often disappear. If you can write tonight, you have everything you need to join us next week.
3. Have a reliable and free way to access and tell your truth. No costly therapy session. No having to wonder whether your family or friends will gossip about what you have told them in confidence. Just a space to free yourself.
4. Remind yourself that writing is a gift you give yourself. As frustrating as the writing process can be – we always come back because of the benefits and insight we ultimately receive.
5. You will discover more about yourself. Writing by hand gives you a body/mind connection that we have lost. Just looking at your hand writing will show you what is going on for you emotionally and is a beautiful way to document who you are. Do you really only want your online life to be the only way you documented your stories?
6. Release emotions that are holding you back. Stop letting your fear always win.
7. Become more brave with your writing. The more you do it, the deeper and faster you will be able to go there.
8. Extending that courage to the rest of your life. Once you connect to who you are, what you are feeling and thinking when away from the distractions of daily life, you will begin to make a space to really start living and chase those dreams you packed away so long ago.
The trick to writing down your day is to do it distraction free. So get yourself some paper and a pen (it will slow down the process and give you more time to figure out what you want to say) , put your phone on silent and find a quiet space where you will not be disturbed. (Try the bathroom if you have to!)
You have everything it takes to find your voice, access your stories and write. The writing process can be lonely and frustrating but it will ultimately set you free.
Put yourself first and join us for Writing Scared, our introductory course which starts next Monday night. This is a reminder that all newsletter subscribers receive over 10% off on the course price if a deposit if put down by this Friday the 18th of September. Please remember to mention that you are subscriber when making your booking to be eligible for the discount. Bookings are made on a first come, first served basis and spaces are limited. Payment plans are available.
For more course information, go to the following link on our website: https://tellyourstorywithwriteon.wordpress.com/courses-and-workshops/tell-your-story-find-your-voice-an-introductory-writing-course/ and fill out the contact form provided to book your place or go to our Contact Us link. Bookings are made on a first come, first served basis and spaces are limited.